Historic Firm Closes After Nearly 250 years in Warrington
Wed 04 Nov 2020
A HISTORIC steelworks firm which spent almost 250 years operating in Warrington has finally closed.
Peter Stubs Ltd was first founded in the town in 1777 as a tool manufacturers and was based in an industrial unit off Wilderspool Causeway.
The firm, which was named Erasteel Stubs until its recent closure, confirmed redundancies and a possible closure of the site in May.
It closed its doors for good this week.
It cited the coronavirus pandemic and a reduced turnover by 70 percent as having a major impact on the business.
An Erasteel previously spokesman told the Warrington Guardian: "Earlier this month, Erasteel Stubs Ltd informed staff at its Warrington site of proposals to make redundancies.
"Erasteel Stubs regrets the loss of a key customer, and the likely consequential loss of approximately 70 per cent of the company’s turnover.
"This substantial loss comes at a time when the Erasteel company is experiencing the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic and deterioration in its global markets.
"The broader global context will make it difficult for us to find alternative solutions in the short or medium term.
"Given the economic and commercial situation of the plant, closure is possible.
"Collective redundancies and potential closure of the plant are currently the subject of a formal collective consultation process with Erasteel Stubs’ employees."
Based on Bridge Street in the town centre in its early days, Peter Stubs Ltd moved to a large site on Scotland Road in 1802.
During the 1800s, it became a ‘major world manufacturer’ of silver steel.
More recently, the company unveiled a £2million extension to its current home back in 2012.
It is another blow for industry in the town after Unliever closed its factory last month.